Water Into Wine
Recently I went to church and the sermon was on Jesus’ first miracle, changing water into wine. At that moment I thought, “I’ve heard this story a thousand times, what more can I learn?” Then as I was half heartedly listening a light bulb went off in my head.
In the Bible story (John 2:1-13) Jesus, his disciples and his mother, Mary, went to a wedding in Cana. There they were having a good time, or I expect they were, when Jesus’ mother said to Jesus, “The wedding hosts have run out of wine”. Jesus declares to his mother “What concern is that to you and me?” (John 2:4)
Jesus decides to help out anyway and instructs the servants to fill six jars full of water. They did so and served it to the chief steward who couldn’t understand why the hosts had saved the best wine for last. Usually the best wine was served first and the lesser wine was served last after the guests were drunk.

At this moment our pastor explained that the wine Jesus supplied was symbolic of Jesus filling the wedding guests with his Spirit as they filled themselves with new wine. This is where the light bulb went off.
Jesus longs to fill us with the Holy Spirit, how do we do this?
2 Corinthians 5:17 “So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation; everything old has passed away; see everything has become new!” NRSV
By pouring the Holy Spirit into our lives and hearts we are new in him. When you drink in Jesus your faith in him becomes stronger. We become new in Christ and live our lives more like him; Jesus gives us new life through his death and resurrection.
How can we become new in Christ? One way is to repent of your sins. Confess and you will become more like him.
Ask God to come into your life. Read God’s word and apply it to your life today.
Join a local church and become baptized, this will renew your soul.
Becoming new in Christ and being filled with the Holy Spirit is not difficult; go to him and he will make you new.
Dear Lord, please be with me, forgive me of my sins, come to me in Spirit, renew my soul. Amen
Amen! I love this story so much, and your interpretation is excellent. I think it's also that as we age in our relationship with Christ, it's like He has saved the best for last for us as well...we gain more wisdom, more grace , and more peace as we grow in Him and let Him grow in us. We are like aged wine, the very best He has to offer. I pray that is so in my life in these "latter days". Thank you for this lesson today.
ReplyDeleteI like your interpretation that we are like aged wine, another light bulb moment!
Delete