Trust in the Lord

Yesterday I was talking with my son about when he first learned to swim. I told him he was about three when he took to the water. I reminisced with him for a while then I started thinking about when I learned to swim. It wasn’t when I was three but twenty three. Why was I so old when I learned to swim? I was terrified of the water. 


When I was about five I went to swimming lessons. For some reason I was afraid to put my head underwater. The swimming instructor caught onto this real quick and sat near me at the edge of the pool. She said I should dunk in the water on three. She counted but I didn’t go under, instead she put her foot on the top of my head on three and dunked me and held me under the water; I was really terrified! I quit swimming lessons the next day and never learned to swim.

Years later, when I was twenty three I did learn to swim but it took a huge amount of trust and courage on my behalf to accomplish it. 

I often have troubles in my life and find that just like I trusted my swimming instructor, I need to trust in God.  

Psalm 56: 3-4 says, “When I am afraid I put my trust in you….In God I trust, I am not afraid”. I wish I would have known about this verse when I was younger, it would have saved me a lot of grief. 

I believe the most famous verse in the Bible about trust is Proverbs 3: 5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding.” I often find myself repeating this verse over and over again when life gets difficult. 

Trust in God means surrendering yourself to him. You may still be afraid but fear won’t overwhelm you. Focus on your faith and you can become grounded in courage and peace

I wish I would have known about trust in God when I was so afraid of the water. Giving myself fully to him helps me to stay positive and be the best person I can be.

Dear God, be with me when life gets difficult and I am afraid. Help me to trust in you and give up myself fully. Amen




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog Post

Lost and Found

Draw Near To Me