Wolves Under the Bed

​When I was growing up I had an irrational fear that wolves lived under my bed. I was so convinced of this that I never let my legs dangle over the side of the bed. When I woke up I jumped from the end of the bed to the door. I slept with the lights on and I never took my glasses off. If there were wolves under my bed I wanted to see them. I was certain that the wolves wanted to eat me alive.


Irrational fear can sometimes incapacitate us. When this happens, what should we do? 

Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Make your fears known to God, tell him what it is that is bothering you. I wish I would have known about this when I was younger; I had no one to confide in about my fears. Concentrating on God and praying to him would have made all the difference in the world. It would have given me someone to help comfort me when I was afraid, calming my fears. 

Isaiah 41:10 says, “Do not fear for I am with you, do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

In the New Testament Jesus was busy teaching and tells his disciples to go on ahead of him while he went up to a mountain to pray. They got into their boat and started across the water when the winds picked up. The disciples became afraid. Soon they saw someone walking on the water towards them, they thought it was a ghost but soon realized it was Jesus. He said to them, “Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid” Mark 6:50b. When trying to calm a child’s fears, this would be a good story to tell them. Discuss with them how the disciples felt before and after they knew it was Jesus. When I was young it would have been so comforting to me to be able to concentrate on this and other Bible stories instead of waiting in bed for the wolves to attack me. 

1 John 4:18 says, “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear…”

Focus on God’s Agape (unconditional) love. Focusing on love can help shrink the size of your fears. When I was young I didn’t know about God; I didn’t know that he loved me. I wish I had known more about him, I would not have had so much fear in my life. 

God gives us his strength when we ask for it; he is with us through every fear and trial. His courage will set us free. Believe in him and trust in his love. 

Dear God, be with me when I feel afraid; surround me with your unconditional love. Comfort me when fear tries to control me. Amen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog Post

Lost and Found

Draw Near To Me