The Blueberry Girl

​When I was growing up my favorite person in the world was my paternal grandmother. My siblings and I were the only grandchildren she had so we were really special to her. 

One thing my grandmother did exceptionally well was cook. When we went to grandma’s house we were always stuffed after a good meal.

She made the most scrumptious desserts too which usually included apple pie. I did not particularly like apple pie, but one thing I really loved was blueberry pie. My grandmother knew this so she would bake a blueberry pie just for me. Because of this she called me “the blueberry girl”.


One day years later I got a phone call saying that my grandmother had died, how would I ever live without her? I was devastated. 

Later that night I had a really vivid dream. I was in my grandmother’s kitchen and there she was cooking at the stove with her back turned to me. I exclaimed, “Grandma, you can’t be here, you’re dead!” She turned around, smiled and said, “No, I’m not dead” and I woke up. That dream really stuck with me and I think about it even today.

I often wonder, what happens to us when we die? I know that a good portion of us will go to heaven and we will see our loved ones again, but how will we recognize them? Will we have earthly bodies or will we be some spiritual being?

In 1 Corinthians 15:35-58, Paul speaks about the Resurrection Body. He states that someone may ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” (Verse 35) Paul says, “God gives a body as he has chosen” but what has he chosen?

In Daniel 12:3 the author says “Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the sky”. So we will have a shiny new body?

Matthew 13:43 says that “the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their father”. Another bright and shiny metaphor. 

How do you envision spiritual bodies? Like our earthly bodies, or something quite different? Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:52b that “the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed”. Changed….but how? 

We may all have our own ideas about our spiritual bodies, but this is something that we cannot truly understand as earthly beings. 

I wrestle with the questions of God and heaven but I know that it will all be answered for me one day. I just need to keep the faith and believe in God our almighty Father.  

Proverbs 3:5 says “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own insight.” NRSV

I believe in God and I believe in heaven. I truly believe I will see my grandmother again someday. In what form I do not know, but I need to trust in God and rely on him for the answers;. I truly believe that one day I will once again hear, “Hi blueberry girl!”

Dear God, help me to believe that I will one day see my loved ones in heaven. Help me to put my trust in you as I await that special day. Amen

















































































 

Years later after I moved away I got a call and learned that my grandmother had died; I was devastated. Later that night I had a dream that my grandmother was at home in the kitchen; she was baking a blueberry pie. I looked at her and said, “Grandma, what are you doing? You can’t do that, you’re dead!” My grandmother turned and said, “No, I’m not dead”. My dream ended and I woke up. 

That was years ago and I still remember that dream vividly. There are many stories in the Bible where God is communicating with people through dreams. Was my grandmother communicating with me from heaven?

In the book of 1 Corinthians 15: 35-58 we learn about the resurrection of the dead. In this scripture Paul says, “  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog Post

Lost and Found

Draw Near To Me