Reflecting the Image of God

I was walking in the mall one day when I happened to be behind someone who, as they walked, kept looking at the windows and mirrors of the stores as they passed by. I wondered what they were thinking. Was it about how they looked? About their clothes or hair? Or about their weight?

When we look at our reflection it would be honorable if we saw the reflection of God instead. Do we see God in ourselves? I know we cannot physically look like God since he has no form, but we can show God’s image by reflecting his love in all of us, but just how do we do that? 

Reflecting God’s image occurs when showing others how much we love them through our character. Have you ever noticed how much a devout Christian smiles? I was flying to Florida once and while on the plane I started a conversation with the person sitting next to me. I noticed that this person smiled even while they were talking. I asked this person what they did for a living and they said they were a pastor, I knew it! God’s love is visible on each person’s face, you can’t hide it. In this instance, God’s image was radiating through a smile. 

We can also reflect God’s image by showing others how God would treat them through our mercy, patience and kindness. My father-in-law is in the memory care unit of an assisted living facility. Sometimes things get very heated when we go to visit him. We need to show him our love and kindness even though the moment doesn’t seem like we’re capable of doing that. Colossians 3:17 says “and whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Reflecting God’s love through our actions, this is a wonderful reflection of him.

The Bible teaches us that we are all made in the image of God, but sometimes that image gets distorted. Have you ever broken a mirror? Not only do you have seven years bad luck you also have a distorted image of yourself. Your image of God can also become distorted. Sin can begin to creep in. Instead of showing an outer image of God, you show an inner image that can lead to sin and deceit. Our image can become restored however through the love of Jesus Christ. Through redemption and grace our image can be conformed back to him. 

Jesus is the exact image of God; Jesus is God. Through him we can find and display his true image. Genesis 1:27 says “God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them”. We can reflect God’s image by devoting ourselves to being active representatives of God on earth. How do I we do that? Turn toward your Bible and prayer and welcome the Holy Spirit into your life, soon you will find your image changing into a reflection of God’s love. 

Dear God, help me to show others the image of God through me. Help me to reflect your love to others I meet. Amen 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog Post

Lost and Found

Draw Near To Me